NYSFAAA EXEC COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

DECEMBER 9-10, 2004

WHITE PLAINS, NY

 

 

Present: Sue Aldrich, Maria Barlaam, Anne Barton, Carolyn Corcoran, Gail Drapala, Claire Jacobi, Sharon Karkowski, Bill Mack, Judi Miladin, Nancy Pawluk,  Karen Price-Scott,  Kevin Ryan,  John Smith, Jim Vallee, Sam Veeder, Joan Warren, Sherman Whipkey,  Mike Williams

 

Absent:  Earl Tretheway

 

Guests:  Delilah Reyes, Joe Tine

 

TREASURER’S REPORT – Sam Veeder

-         We have more conference bills to be paid.  We expect all bills from the conference to exceed $100,000.  Sam is not expecting much more for CAAN bills.  She has followed up with 4 vendors on outstanding bills.  Sam has also followed up on missing quarterly reports from Regions 1, 5 and 6 (reports were due for quarter ending 9/30/04).

-         The mileage reimbursement rate is increasing to 40.5 cents/mile effective 1/1/05

-         Sam passed out her report

-         Short discussion was held on whether we need detail transaction report printed with Treasurer’s Report as has been done.  Agreed that we do not need it printed.

-         MOTION: TO ACCEPT TREASURER’S REPORT.  DRAPALA/SMITH;  MOTION ACCEPTED

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT – Carolyn Corcoran (minutes of September 2004 meeting)

 

-         MOTION:  TO ACCEPT SEPT.23-24, 2004 MEETING MINUTES.   ALDRICH/DRAPALA; MOTION ACCEPTED

-         Clarification for future meetings; past meeting minutes will NOT be printed for distribution. Council members may access past meeting minutes from the website.

 

VICE-PRESIDENT FOR MEMBERSHIP REPORT – Joan Warren

 

-         we have 996 current members; 8 recently received/processed

-         Joan is working on data cleanup, including duplicate records (she found 58 thus far)

-         The website membership application has been modified so that the default for “primary region” is now “not affiliated with any region” instead of Region 1

-         Discussion ensued on what can and can’t be done on the website and registering for membership vs. registering for the conference

-         Suggestion made by Sam Veeder that the Conference 2005 Chairs and Vendor Chair meet with  Membership VP and Treasurer to develop a workflow for what needs to be done by when to ease Conference 2005 registration on website as this will be the first year for registering via the website

-         Issue of only paid members now having access to the list-serves came up.  Currently, non-paid’s who had access to old list-serves can still see/read emails but cannot send emails.  Joan will discuss with ATAC and work this out so that only paid’s have access.

-         “EVENTS” will be defined as Novice, Statewide Training, and the annual conference.  Joan is working on utilizing Events Planning module of the website for this.  The point was made here that statewide chairs and others in prominent positions need to be sure that participants are dues-paying members!

 

VICE-PRESIDENT FOR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT REPORT – Karen Price-Scott

 

-         Karen has worked with Mike Pede on Privacy Training sessions; there will be a January 7th session at Manhattanville College and possibly a session the same week at Buffalo State.  Karen is trying to put together other sites for the Privacy training both upstate and downstate.  TamI Gilbeaux will be the presenter.

-         Karen is also working on tax training workshops with Jim Briggs as presenter.  Some regions had already set dates with Briggs.  Karen is trying to coordinate this training for all regions.

-         Karen requested clarification on the process for coordinating training events. Discussion followed.

-         MOTION: TO HAVE 3 OR 4 LOCATIONS FOR JIM BRIGGS TAX TRAINING.  RYAN/BARLAAM; MOTION ACCEPTED

-         The statewide vendor/sponsor list WILL be put on the website

-         Karen will put together a training survey that will be on the website; she’ll work with Joan on that

-         Fall EASFAA Training Attendance Results:  27 in Rochester, 30 in Albany, 40 in Brooklyn, 23 on Long Island

-         Karen has heard from members that there IS a need for intermediate-level training; she thinks there’s also a need for senior-level training and in both cases, she’s thinking of multiple-day events

 

SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT – Sherman Whipkey

-         Sherman reported that the scholarship letters went out late last year; goal is to get them out by mid-February with a due date deadline of June 10th.  He got most applications after the deadline

-         Would like to put the application on the web and have all schools link to it; the committee would like to have a poster created that schools could post

-         The Silent Auction at the conference netted $2300

-         Goal is to increase school member/individual donor contributions so the large companies who contribute will notice; idea was for EC rep’s. to contact schools in their region about motivating members to donate

-         Discussion took place on whether the scholarship application flow should be modified and get away from campuses nominating one undergrad/grad

-         Council recommended that Sherman/committee investigate listing the scholarship thru FASTWEB and setting up the application on our website so applicants will be exposed to our site; the only responsibility of the aid officer would be to certify need/loan debt of the applicant; the committee will choose from applications received

 

GEAR UP REPORT – Joe Tine and Delilah Reyes of HESC

 

-         Joe explained that HESC is in the 5.5th (and final) year of the contract; it’s a program they administer for USED; the contract ends 8/30/05  and that NYSFAAA is looking to formalize its role with GearUp.  If NYSFAAA became a state partner, we’d need to appoint a NYFSAAA liason who would be required to attend both a national and state conference

-         Judy asked if Anne Barton, in conjuction with Nancy Pawluk, Chair of Early Awareness Committee, would look at the proposal and bring something back to the February ’05 EC meeting.  Anne and Nancy agreed to do so.

-         Delilah Reyes then gave an explanation of the history of GearUp and a description of the program; HESC is looking to formalize a relationship with NYSFAAA in Early College Awareness.  HESC has permission from USED to use NYSFAAA and NYSACAC (admissions counselors) as state partners.  We’d need to submit a 5-6 page proposal.  There are 22000 participants in NYState.  GearUp actually stands for Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs.  It’s a federal initiative that starts with students, no later than the 7th grade.  Sites involve the partnering of a middle school, high school, and college/university.  HESC set aside $25000 for NYSFAAA to become a statewide partner (along with NYSACAC, SUNY, CUNY,NYSED and the College Board).  There are federal project sites and NY sites located throughout the state.  HESC’s ideas include 1. site workers/administrators becoming NYSFAAA members and 2. one member from each site attend NYSFAAA Novice workshop. **** For the next 6-year contract, HESC would want NYSFAAA to coordinate all financial aid activities so there’s no duplication of services.*** Delilah proposed that on our website, GEAR UP could provide info on the program and maybe an “Ask the Expert” piece

 

HESC UPDATE – Mike Williams

 

-         Mike Wilton has resigned from HESC effective 12/29/04

-         Lisa Simpson will cover Region 5

-         Jerry Christy will cover Region 3

-         HESC Training Grant available for FFELP schools

-         Discussion of issue of HESC Bulletin news drafts to go through NYSFAAA Communications Director (Earl) first

-         HESC rep’s are reminding members to utilize the NYSFAAA Event Updater by calling HESC; all regional planning coordinators have been contacted

-         New HESC organization chart will be available 12/29/04

 

GOVERNMENT RELATIONS COMMITTEE REPORT – Jim Vallee

 

-         Jim explained that he and Beth Post are Co-Chairs for the committee.  Jim will handle federal issues and Beth will cover state issues.  Committee members include Susan Nesbit-Perez, Bill Cavin, Joel Castiglione, and Wayne Harewood.  The first issue for the committee is to mount opposition to proposed change in tax table and Jim has emailed all members.  Jim asked Council what else they’d like from the committee.  Judi indicated that we need to resurrect the position paper on Reauthorization and then start making contacts with our federal representatives.

 

MENTORING COMMITTEE REPORT – Bill Mack

 

-Bill suggested renaming to “leadership development” from “mentoring”

-discussion followed on the leadership opportunities for members

 

EARLY AWARENESS COMMITTEE REPORT – Nancy Pawluk

-         the webpage has been updated as well as links (includes link to UPROMISE)

-         displayed bookmark draft that will go to libraries around the state

-         Nancy solicited for volunteers to join the committee and got a good, diverse response

-         The committee is looking for direction from Council; keeping in mind the earlier Gear Up discussion

-         Judi raised idea of a workshop for middle-school counselors; Anne expressed that we don’t want to lose our Early Awareness focus in  Gear Up; Sharon mentioned trying to access parent/teacher organizations.  Mike Williams suggested partering with NY SAVES ;  Judi suggested that Nancy take different ideas back to her committee for review/cost analysis

 

EASFAA REPORT/ PAST-PRESIDENT’S REPORT – Anne Barton

-Anne passed out an EASFAA report (see hardcopy)

-         the Past-President’s report included the following: 

o       Nominations and Elections – In January she will be starting the process for the election of a new President-Elect.  She respectfully requested that Council members begin to think about nominating someone. Please remember to contact that person before submitting their name in nomination.

o       CARE Progam – Anne recommended that our Outreach Activities of NYSFAAA be expanded to include this effort.

o       HESC Board Meeting – The HESC Board meeting was held on October 13th in Albany.  Minutes were passed around for EC member perusal.  Judi will now take over as the liaison to the HESC board.

 

CONFERENCE UPDATES –

-         John Smith indicated that the 2004 final report will be ready in February

-         Gail Drapala reported on the 2005 conference: the Program Committee will be meeting January 10th and then on February 18th for all Chairs

-         Sue Aldrich reported that committees are forming and work will begin in late winter/early spring 2005

 

REGIONAL REPORTS –

-         regional reports were given orally by all regions (except 4 as Earl absent)

-         written reports submitted by Regions 5 and 7

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT – Judi Miladin

-         met with John D’Agati from Senator LaValle’s office in mid-November to discuss TAP redesign.  SUNY, CUNY, CICU, NYSFAAA were all represented.  Another meeting is scheduled for Monday, 12/13/04.  The State wants to cut expenses but not anyone’s award (almost impossible).  Judi did applaud them for wanting to do something to prevent just another 1/3 proposal from the Governor with no counter offer.

-         Website work has been done.  All dead links have been removed.  Officer and regional representative info is updated as well as award info.  Link for the Ask the Expert is done

-         Still to be done on the website: regional and statewide meeting minutes need to be entered

-         Judi wrote a letter to EASFAA about creating a retiree category

-         Met with auditors

-         Letter for Legislative Gazette done

-         Dealt with issues within regions about lenders and holiday parties

-         Has approached a member about becoming Development Chair; waiting for response

-         Will email us all about Policy and Procedures (for the Web)

 

2007 CONFERENCE PROPOSALS

 

-         Claire Jacobi, on behalf of Region 6, presented a proposal for Sunday, Oct.14, 2007- Weds., Oct.17, 2007 for a NY City conference.  The hotel will extend rates for Saturday through Thursday.  Hotel is the Sheraton on 52nd and 7th Avenues.  No overflow hotel would be needed.  Ed Vigliano from the Sheraton was present.  The offered rate is $209/night and it is a confirmed rate.  Contract would be need to be worked out over the next few days with attorneys.  The Sheraton prefers a signed contract by 12/15/04.

-         Anne Barton and Bill Cheetham, on behalf of Region 3, presented a proposal for a conference at Turning Stone Casino Resort in Verona, NY.  Dates would be Oct.22-26, 2007.  They arranged for same hotel rate for 2008 if don’t get 2007 conference.

-         MOTION:  THAT WE HAVE THE 2007 CONFERENCE IN NEW YORK CITY (REGION 6) AND IN 2008 AT TURNING STONE RESORT (REGION 3).  RYAN/SMITH;  MOTION ACCEPTED UNANIMOUSLY

 

NEW BUSINESS

-         CARE Program – Anne Barton described the program.  It stands for Credit Abuse Resistance Education.  A bankruptcy judget in central NY who works with college campuses came up with it and runs the program.   Anne thought that perhaps NYSFAAA could utilize the program.  Website is www.careprogram.us .  There is no fee for his services.

-         Volunteer list was distributed by Joan Warren

-         Nancy Pawluk raised issue of committee conference calls costs.

-         A few lenders asked Claire Jacobi to raise issue of possibly appointing a vendor/lender liaison to Council; Anne said the issue was raised during her term.  Sam mentioned that the Development Committee that’s being resurrected will have a lender as its Chair and that would be a statewide committee so we’ll see how that goes

-         A Region 3 member would like Council to re-evaluate the revenue sharing amount; Anne said we probably should since Conference 2004 made a large profit.  Anne suggested a separate regional designation for electronic initiatives so that any additional money would be directed to something specific.

 

MOTION:  TO ADJOURN.  RYAN/SMITH;  APPROVED

-          

-          

 

_